آداب شهر رجب
Adaab Shahr Rajab
Rajab’s Practices and Supplications
- Print for the First Day of Rajab – Welcoming Rajab
- Print for Daily prayer Saint of Rajab’s Dua
- Print for Daily recitation Qiyamul Lail – Nightly Devotions
- Print for Night of Lailat al Raghaib
- Print for Night of Isra wal Miraj – Ascension Practices
- Print for Lentil Diet
- Du’a al Mathur – Du’a of Grandshaykh `Abdullah al Faiz ad Daghestani (q) –
Recite in Lailatul Raghaib and Lailatul Isra wal Miraj
Important Events in Rajab:
- First Thursday Night of Rajab – Lailatul Raghaib (Night of Desires)
- 8th Rajab – Urs of Sultan ul Awliya Mawlana Shaykh Nazim Adil
- 13th Rajab – Imam ‘Ali (as)’s Birthday
- 27th of Rajab is Isra wal Miraj (Night of Journey and Ascension) of Prophet Muhammad (saws) to Heavens
‘Rajab is the month of Allah’ “Rajabun Shahrulla”
Reported by Hasan al-Basri that the Prophet of Allah, Sayyidina Muhammad ﷺ said:
“Rajab is the month of Allah. Sha`ban is my month. Ramadan is the month of my Ummah (community).”
رَجَبٌ شَهْرُ اللهِ، وَشَعْبَانَ شَهْرِي، وَرَمَضَانَ شَهْرِ أُمَّتِي
“Rajabun Shahrullahi, wa Sha’bana shahri, wa Ramadana shahre ummati.”
Rajab is Allah’s month, Sha`baan is my month and Ramadan is the month of my Ummah.
(Abul-Fath ibn Abi Fawaris in his `Amalee from al-Hasan)
What rewards God will give his servants in His holy month of Rajab, no one knows, not even the Prophets. They are not allowed to know what rewards God is going to give His servants.
سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي أَسْرَىٰ بِعَبْدِهِ لَيْلًا مِّنَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ إِلَى الْمَسْجِدِ الْأَقْصَى الَّذِي بَارَكْنَا حَوْلَهُ لِنُرِيَهُ مِنْ آيَاتِنَا إِنَّهُ هُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْبَصِيرُ ١
17:1 “Exalted is He who enraptured His servant by night from the Sacred mosque (Mecca) to the Farthest Mosque (Masjid al-Aqsa).” (Holy Quran, The Night Journey )
The Welcoming of Rajab’s adab (practice) is to be performed in the evening between Salatul Àsr and Maghrib on the day prior to first day of Rajab. It`s recommended to
1. Perform ritual purification Ghusul/Shower after Salatul ‘Asr (before sunset).
2. Dress in best clothes and pray 2 raka`at Salaat al Wudu.
3.Then proceed with the rest of the practices as indicated in the
handout of Welcoming Rajab Adab (Practices)
Fasting in Rajab
Fasting the months of Rajab and Sha’ban as a nafila or supererogatory worship is recommended, with the intention of following the Sunna of the Prophet (s) who has established the merit of this fast. According to the Sunan of Abu Dawud, the Prophet (saws) has made the fasting of the sacred months praiseworthy, and Rajab is one of them.
It is recommended to fast as many days as possible in the holy month of Rajab, especially on Mondays and Thursdays and Fast the following holy days:
- First day of Rajab – Welcoming Rajab
- First Thursday of Rajab – Lailatul Raghaib (Night of Desires)
- 7th of Rajab –
- 15th of Rajab – Nisf Rajab (Middle of Rajab) & Urs of Sayidatina Zainab (as)
- 26th of Rajab – Night of Isra wal Mi’raj (The Night Journey and Ascension)
- 27th of Rajab – Day of Isra wal Mi’raj
- Last Day of Rajab
Daily Practices for Rajab
1. Recite the Saint of Rajab’s Du’a daily, after each Salat (Daily Prayer) in the month of Rajab.
2. Perform the Qiyamul Lail – Nightly/Early Morning Devotions.These practices are to be done daily two hours prior to Salatul Fajr (Morning prayer) in the month of Rajab.
3. Lentil Diet
The Lentil diet is a 40 days diet, starting first day of Rajab to 10th day of Sha’ban (8th Lunar month). This diet is prescribed for spiritual purposes, to control the ego and our desires for food pleasure. For more details on this Lentil Diet, please refer to the following handout.
Handout: Lentil Diet for Rajab
Lailatul Raghaib (The Night of Desires)
The first Thursday Night in Rajab is the holy Laylat ar Ragha’ib, ‘the Sacred Night of Desires’. It is one of the most important nights in Islamic history for all human beings. It is the night that the Prophet (s) was transferred from his holy father to his holy mother’s womb. It falls on the first Friday of Rajab. All that you wish for on this night, God gives you for the sake of His beloved Prophet (s). In Islamic countries they celebrate this night with praising of the Prophet (s), remembrance of Sayyidina Muhammad’s (saws) life, remembrance of God in their hearts, and visits to mosques, which stay open throughout the night until dawn.
The Following practices are recommended to be recited on the Lailatul Raghaib (the Night Desires) which is the first Thursday of Rajab.
Lailatul Isra wal Mi’raj (Night of Ascension)’s
سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي أَسْرَىٰ بِعَبْدِهِ لَيْلًا مِّنَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ إِلَى الْمَسْجِدِ الْأَقْصَى الَّذِي بَارَكْنَا حَوْلَهُ لِنُرِيَهُ مِنْ آيَاتِنَا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْبَصِيرُ
17:1 – “Exalted is He who enraptured His servant by night from the Sacred mosque (Makah) to the Farthest Mosque (Masjid al Aqsa).” (Holy Qur’an, The Night Journey)
The Night preceding 27th of Rajab, is the holy night of the Isra wal Mi’raj (Night Journey and Ascension) of Prophet Muhammad (saws) is the Night that Sayyidina Muhammad (saws) was invited to the Divine Presence. He made a miraculous journey from Ka’bah (Makah) to Masjidul Aqsa (Jerusalem), then he (saws) ascended to the heavens and beyond.
The Following practices are recommended to be recited on the Lailatul Isra wal Mi`raj (the Night Journey and Ascension) which is the evening preceding the 27th of Rajab.
(Nightly/Early Morning Devotion) in Rajab
1. Wake up two hours before Salatul Fajr (morning prayer)
2. Make Wudu (ablution)
3. Pray 2 raka’at Salatul Tahyatul Wudu (two-cycle regular prayer)
4. Make Niyyat (Intention) by reciting:
نُوَيْتُ الْاَرْبَعِينْ، نُوَيْتُ الْاَعْتِكَافْ، نُوَيْتُ الْخَلْوَة، نُوَيْتُ الْعِزْلَة، نُوَيْتُ الرِّيَاضَة، نُوَيْتُ السُّلُوكْ لِلّهِ تَعَالَي اَلْعَظِيمْ فِيْ هَذَا الْمَسْجِدْ.( فِيْ هَذَا الْجَامِعْ )
Nawaytul Arba’een, Nawaytul ‘itikaf, Nawaytul Khalwah
Nawaytul ‘Uzlah, Nawaytur Riyada, Nawaytus Sulook,
Lillahi Ta`ala l ‘Azhim fee hadhal masjid (or fee hadhal jami`)
I intend the forty (days of seclusion), I intend seclusion in the mosque, I intend seclusion, I intend isolation, I intend discipline (of the ego), I intend to travel in God’s Path, for the sake of God in this mosque.
To have the intention that Allah makes me to meet spiritually with Rasulullah (saws), Imam al Mahdi (as) and Mawlana Shaykh)
5. Follow the Practices of Qiyamul Lail (Nightly Devotion) in Rajab
- 100x Ya Halim (for removing anger)
- 100x Ya Hafizh (for removing affliction)
- Du’a (Supplications
- Prepare for Tafakkur
a) Cover yourself with light white cloth
b) Light candle
- Naqshbandi Daily Wazifa/Awrad (Practice):
- Surat al-Fatiha (at beginning of Wazifa – with the intention of being dressed with the manifestations (tajallis) that came down to Makkah)
- Surat al Fatiha (at the end of Wazifa – with the intention of being dressed with the manifestations (tajallis) that came down to Medina)
- 5000x Allah(loud)
- 5000x Allah (silent)
- Salatu ‘n-Najaat
- Salatu ‘sh-Shukr
- Salatu ‘t-Tasabeeh
- Salatu ‘t-Tahajjud
- 1000x Salawat
- 100x Surat al-Ikhlas (Ch. 112 of Holy Quran)
(with intention to be counted for one juz of Holy Qur’an)
- 100x Salawat (With intention to be counted for Dalayilul Khayrat)
- 500x Ya Samad (With intention to eliminate the bad aspects of the ego)
- 500x Astaghfirullah (With intention that from the day of creation of my soul to the present day for Allah to forgive my sins)
- 500x Astaghfirullah(with intention that from the present day to the last day on earth Allah will protect against sins)
- 500x Alhamdulillah (because Allah did not create me from the nation of other prophets)
- 500x Alhamdulillah (because Allah has created me from the nation of Rasulullah and honored me by Sayyidina Abu Bakr asSiddiq, `Abdul Khaliq al-Ghujdawani, Shaykh Sayyid Sharafuddin adDaghestani, and honored me by Grandshaykh Shaykh Abdullah al Fa’izi adDaghestani and honored me by making me a follower of Mawlana Shaykh Muhammad Nazim Adil al Haqqani (Q).
The following du’a of Hizbul Wiqayah, is not part of Naqshbandi Practices, but you could read it for blessings:
Articles Related to the Month of Rajab
Articles by Mawlana Shaykh Nurjan Mirahmadi
- Welcoming the Holy Month of Rajab
- Creation of Nur Muhammad – The creation of the Light of Prophet Muhammad (saws)
- Qadr Nights – Light/Power Emanate from Muhammadan Heart –
- Secret of Mi’raj Manifests on Laylatul Qadr –The power of Lailatul Qadr (Night of Power) is from Isra wal Mi’raj (Night of Ascension).
- Realities of Face, Presence, Essence in Insan Kamil – Explaining Realities of Three Holy Months – Rajab, Sha’ban, Ramadan
- Creation of Nur Muhammad – The creation of the Light of Prophet Muhammad (saws)
- All Creation is from the Reality of Muhammadan Rasulullah (saws) –
- Invite Sayyidina Muhammad (s), He will Purify you – Teach you the Book & Wisdom
- Light of Sayyidina Muhammad (s) is among you with Awliya (saints)
- Three Lights of Creation
- Secrets of Khalwah (Seclusion)